Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Tea Overboard

So there is a lot of dissent about the recent stadium bills. A lot of it is valid, but there is one in particular that I wanted to share. Being that the source is my grandma. Now for those of you who don't know, I'm blessed to still have three grandparents alive, and am very close with all of them. Last night I was at my grandparent's house, and my grandma and I got started talking about the stadiums. The Twins stadium set her off, and she set out into the most brilliant critique of the situation I have heard yet. After some opening comments as they would be she got down to the nitty gritty of it, and stated her real point. "No taxation without representation," my grandma frustratingly said. Than when I thought that no comment could top that fantastic historical quote she aggressively stated, "I am ready to throw the tea in the water." I laughed so hard (as did she), it was one of the greatest things I have heard in a long time. Here is a shout out to my grandma at 86 years young. Her solution to the sales tax increase without a voter referendum is to "throw the tea in the water." History runs deep in my family. She would later clarify that she would throw the tea in Minnehaha creek.

I have heard from a great source that childhood favorite program Sesame Street made some changes. I guess this isn't new as I did some research and realized it happened last year, but it was new to me. Apparently Oscar the Grouch is no longer living in a trashcan, as that casts a negative light on bums and homeless people. Now if that is truly the reason to put Oscar the Grouch in some sort of community housing project (which is apparently what they did), it is quite pathetic in my opinion. Other sources say maybe it was because he was angry all the time. Well wouldn't you be pretty grumpy if you lived in a trashcan? I didn't think that it was up to us to shed a positive light on homelessness and bums. I feel there are very few parents who ever told their children to strive to be like Oscar the Grouch. He was a character on a children's T.V. show... Not a bum off the street. Another change is apparently the cookie monster becoming more health conscious and eating vegetables. The Vegetable monster? That sounds dumb. The hit song that the Cookie Monster is so famous for "C is for Cookie" and so on has been changed to "A cookie is a sometimes food." What? How ridiculous does that sound? Awesome political correctness, way to affect children. Special thanks to my source for the inspiration for this post, you're the best!

The picture on the front page of the Washington Post website is of Senate majority leader Bill Frist examining a silverback gorilla at the National Zoo. Now I know that Sen. Frist is a medical doctor (a heart surgeon more specifically) but... I really don't have a problem at all with this; I just thought it was funny to make the front page of the post.

Finally the NBA draft lottery is set and the Timberwolves have the sixth pick. I am going to put up a poll at some point to get some feedback on what bone headed moves the Wolves will do with that pick. I say we trade the pick to the Clippers for Sam Cassell.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home