Monday, May 29, 2006

Memorial Day Tribute

Below is a copy of a poem that I can across, and I thought that it was fitting for Memorial Day.

Freedom Is Not Free By LCDR Kelly Strong, USCG - Copyright 1981

I watched the flag pass by one day,It fluttered in the breeze. A young Service man saluted it, and then he stood at ease.
I looked at him in uniform so young, so tall, so proud, with hair cut square and eyes alert he'd stand out in any crowd.
I thought how many men like him had fallen through the years. How many died on foreign soil how many mothers' tears?
How many pilots' planes shot down? How many died at sea how many foxholes were soldiers' graves? No, freedom isn't free.
I heard the sound of Taps one night, when everything was still,I listened to the bugler play and felt a sudden chill.
I wondered just how many times that Taps had meant "Amen,"When a flag had draped a coffin. Of a brother or a friend.
I thought of all the children, of the mothers and the wives, of fathers, sons and husbands with interrupted lives.
I thought about a graveyard at the bottom of the sea of unmarked graves in Arlington. No, freedom isn't free.

There have been many different versions of the famous military burial song "Taps." The story of how the song was created is the interesting one. Long debated, it originated during the American Civil War, but that is where the clarity ends. Either way it is always a tearful sorrowful ending to any soldiers life. There have been many additions to the song over the years, and there are no many verses, I thought I would share a few on this Memorial day.

Day is done, gone the sun, from the lakes from the hills from the sky, all is well, safely rest, God is near.
Fading light, dims the sight, and a star gems the sky gleaming bright, from afar drawing near, falls the night.
Thanks and praise, for our days, neath the sun neath the stars neath the sky, as we go, this we know, God is near.

My grandpa's best friend, cousin, and best man was laid to rest in the waters of the Pacific Ocean at the expense of Japanese gun fire. Nim is among the thousands of other Americans who saw there final resting place overseas. Along with the countless others who are buried in honor right here in America these men and women never got to say good-bye to loved ones, they left this world long before their time, and to them we owe and incredible amount of gratitude. I didn't even know these brave soldiers yet they went off and died for me and generations of Americans. To all those families who have lost, may God bless you and comfort you. To all those brave who died in defense of freedom: May you rest in peace forever.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home